Saturday, November 18, 2006

Emergent, Po Mo, Organic, Vintage, Revolution, and Relevant

I am sick to death of the vernacular of my culture. By my culture, I mean those of us who are out on the front lines trying to do church as well as all of those who want to be a part of my culture, those who are thinking about my culture, those who are conversing about my culture, and even those who are rejecting my culture. There is an entire lexicon of new language and terms that have risen up to define and describe church in this day and age. It is very common for me to hear statements like: "I have been a contributor to the emergent dialogue and a strong proponent of de-constructing the systemic paradigms that resist the revolutionary, organic movement to reclaim a vintage, epic understanding of how to traverse the postmodern landscape and be intentional in bringing our ancient-future faith to all people in a way that is counter-cultural and relevant."

Praise the Lord, Brother. I have no idea what you are talking about, and neither do you, but Praise the Lord, anyhow. You Generation X'ers are pretty cool!

Look, I am in no way slamming the movement of people called "Emergent". We are working to change church and make it a true expression of our faith to which people can connect. I am completely in favor of these efforts. I just struggle with the language stuff. I believe in making sure people really grow in their faith and relationship with God and one another. I believe in educating people and giving them a language for dealing with all of this complicated faith stuff. When I teach and dialogue with my community on Sunday mornings, I do not dumb things down. I want people to have a healthy approach to Scripture, faith, community, and God. I avoid "Christianese" and trite Evangelical sayings that only alienate people. This does not mean that I avoid theology or theological terms with which people of faith should grow to be familiar. I do believe, however, that "cutting-edge" terms that really have no basis in reality and were made up simply to be "cutting-edge" and to make their users look "cutting-edge" have no value and should be discarded. Much of this language has been developed to supposedly replace Christianese and to be more accessible to the average seeker of truth. As anyone can see by the statement I wrote above, this language is even less accessible than the "Praise the Lord, Brother" stuff I wrote right after it. It's a sham and another example of the kind of consumer Christianity that the Emergent culture is trying to reject.

Language is a tricky thing, because it is difficult to talk about God. God is so far beyond our language and so mysterious, that our arbitrary sets of phonetic arrangements don't begin to touch the Absolute. This does not mean, however, that we should stop talking. We are limited, but we have to keep trying, as long as we can live in the mystery. Our language can never contain God, but that's a good thing. If we could define or explain God linguistically, He would cease to be God. What I propose is that we stop trying to be cool and start trying to connect to God and each other.

Is my church an emergent church? Yes, if that term is defined as: "different from the traditional Evangelical model of church". Did I set out to build an emergent church for the purpose of being able to call it "Emergent"? No. I suck at following God by myself. I started a church to surround myself with people who are on a similar journey of faith and discovery. They walk this out with me. We are simply trying to build the church we like. A church where we connect to each other and collectively touch the Sacred. So, join us sometime for some foot-stompin', snake-handlin, Praise the Lord fun! Bring your shofar and your Holy Spirit tambourine as we wave flags, flop on the floor, and attempt to organically reconstruct our gatherings for relevant interfacing with this postmodern culture. Hallelujah, my emergent brother/sister!

10 comments:

Lora Maria said...

i feel like we kind of just discussed some of this. Maybe. I hope I didn't trigger any of these feelings with my blatant lack of understanding when it came to the true meaning of these nice big words I have heard being tossed around. Other than that, I think I agree with you. =)

Anonymous said...

I am new here, just sort of stumbled in. What a shame (or sham, or scam) that you operate here. I am no longer confused about my faith, but yours is completley out of wack! I choose to remain anonymous to you, because it is hypocrites like you who give faith, god and religion a shameful slap in the face, all while smiling with your "show me the money" meat-hook waiting for your real god...the almighty green-back.

Oh please say it isn't so.

You may love god in your own simpleton way, but why don't you "praise god brother" while explaining your faith without all the b. i. g. words or encripted language that only a shroom eating, acid dropper who remains "stuck" (mentally) in the 1980's.

Please brother Bill (almost sounds like "dollar-bill")get yourself a job...yes a J.O. B. and WAKE-UP!
Love God and get a life.

I will definatley pray for you and you "tribe" (whatever that means Dude!)

Anonymous said...

wow. where do you here Christians speaking like that about their own church? to be honest, if i had heard anyone at Adullam talk like that i would have giggled inside and not come back (although at the same time i need to remind myself that everyone's path to the cross is unique).

heck, i never heard the term "emergent church" until now. all i know is that i felt at home after my first visit to Adullam.

and i hate to break it to you Bill, but you're already cool- no need to try!

Anonymous said...

i'd like to think that second post was an "inside" joke...

Anonymous said...

It's hard understanding who's who with all the anonymous posts. But anyway-I am strongly challenged with anonymous number one! (Not that anyone is asking.) Maybe I am missing something, but the blogs that I have reviewed are definately not "simpleton"! The whole fact that someone who is supposedly not confused about their faith yet needs to slam another and treat him as though he is on a lower food chain seems rather hypocrytical to me. Maybe I am on the wrong page here-but if claiming to have faith...couldn't you be leading this man you call brother instead of slamming him. We are all on a journey...broken...needing the help of Jesus...anyone who claims that they have made it should maybe take a good look in the mirror and assess what their motives are. I have felt nothing but loved at the church where Bill pastors...and as far as I know "brother Bill" does have a job.
Bill-thank you for all your honest heart felt sharing and for displaying your true self...out there and vulnerable. Praise God for this opportunity to grow and love a "real stinker"!!

Bill Sergott said...

Mr. Anonymous #1, I'm sorry. I am the pastor of a growing church and I have a job outside of that church as well. I work very hard and I believe very strongly in Jesus Christ and the inevitable and necessary advancement of the Kingdom of God. I am not sure who you are. I am not really even sure what you are saying. I wouldn't even respond, except that you accused me of being a hypocrite and slapping God in the face. How dare you. You have no idea who I am, nor do you know anything about my faith journey. Yet, I forgive you, and I will pray for you. I feel sad for you. You are loved by Jesus, and His love can heal you of your hostility. I wish all the best for you. Please do not comment on this blog ever again, unless you are willing to step out of your cowardace and identify yourself. Thank you, and God Bless.

Lora Maria said...

"Do not judge, or you too will be judged. For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged,and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you."
Matt7:1-2

Dearest "anonymous number one",
Forgive me for such the informal title, but you seem to have forgotten to mention your name. ???

Obviously, the "stumble" you took into "big money Bill's" domain wasn't your first. It seems that you have also stumbled in your (mis-)interpretation of the intention of his words, his character, his beliefs, his financial position, his J.O.B. status, his defense of the God he serves, his desire to contribute to the advancement of God's Kingdom, and, as if it were yours to judge, his True Heart for Christ.

I'm glad that you are no longer confused about your Faith. Unfortunately, I am now confused about your faith. The kind of message you stumbled, or rather barged in with, shows nothing of gentleness, compassion, love, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, or forgiveness. Most of these are called fruits, and fruits come with humility and faithfulness to our Great God. The greatest of these fruits being LOVE. As I'm trying to figure out what your message even means, I am mostly just wondering, where is LOVE?

"Love God and get a life"?

I'm seeing this message of yours as a painful, judgmental, shooting off at the wrists rather than an outreach in love.

Maybe if you would have prayed for Bill before you wrote you might have come off a little less hostile and a little more like Jesus?
I hope so.

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE

Lora

Anonymous said...

Amen!! Hope you all have a wonderful, blessed day!!

Lora Maria said...

like, seriously dude. You have got to blog, because I cannot do this anymore.
Love

Lora Maria said...

wow, this new blog is really stellar! Thanks for letting me know last night that you would be adding it. LOVE YA!