Monday, December 25, 2006

AHHHHHHH!!!!

I am such a dumbass. I spend all of this time trying to help people and even counseling people in their marriages. Then, I fall on my face with my wife Teresa, treating her horribly. She was feeling a lot of stuff because of the holidays, because of a great deal of dysfunction and pain from this time of year in her childhood. She was acting out of that, and was complaining. I was tired and crabby, and I was sick of the holiday myself. Rather than listen to her and support her, I got defensive and told her, basically, that she needed to stop her whining. Then I compounded the problem by hiding behind some kind of moral and relational superiority by stating that I was just trying to challenge her, as if it were for her own good. God, who is gracious and merciful, let me know that I am a dumbass.

I have no idea what it will take to retrain myself. I need to reorient my entire thinking process, so that when I am in situations like that, I can make better choices. Afterward, it is easy to see the whole stupid path I took, but in the moment, I do not deal with my wife in some kind of vacuum. She and I are intimately involved in each other's lives, and it is near impossible to break away from that. There has to be a way, though, to be involved emotionally with her, but to still choose to serve my wife lovingly.

The most important thing I can do for her is to help her feel important, safe, and loved. I don't want to do the opposite any longer. I hear people say, Dude, you're just a guy, and that's what guys do. I simply don't accept that. I want to put on the new man and do away with the old. I am tired of settling in my marriage. I want to be an exceptional man and an exceptional husband. Any less would be selling myself short of who God created me to be.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think you need to talk to Paul. We had similar events.
We are all works in progress...thank you for your honesty.
I think that God let Paul and I go through what we did this past Christmas to bring us closer...even though it sucked! Perhaps you and Teresa are going through something similar.
Love you guys!!

teresa aportela sergott said...

The holidays can just knock us so out of wack! Fortunately, we learn a little more each time we screw up, so hopefully, soon we'll be sensitive and aware of each other.

Anyway, I love you...

Anonymous said...

For what its worth, I don't want to be "just guy" either...

amyloveslattes said...

this is a test comment